The weirdest thing was happening to me as I was working on a new version of the Hudin Family Tree. The new design is not up yet, so that’s why there’s no link. I’ve got the new look together however and have been coding up the CSS and changing the background PHP code to work with the new layout. Everything looked fine in Firefox and even the two evil browsers of Explorer and Safari. No problems I thought, let’s just give it a whirl in Opera to check out everything. And there it was, this extra bit of margin or padding space from the top that was mucking up the whole design. What the hell was this? I’ve never seen this problem before.
After messing about with various things for an hour or so and finding little information on the web in general, I finally came up with this for the body definition:
That fixed it for Opera and didn’t affect the other browsers. It’s a pretty simple fix and in general, I always use the margin attribute to make sure that’s standardized across all browsers. What’s getting me is why Opera is doing this though. I don’t have this problem on any other sites with similar code. Overall, I also find Opera to be a pretty good little browser. My first preference is for Firefox, but Opera does pull up a damn good second. I guess things like this happen and in reality Opera is at most 1% of the web viewing audience if that, so I could have ignored the issue, but that’s just not my style.